…and One More Makes Four

Last Friday my doctor said, ” there is no action going on, we need to induce labor in a few days.”

So that’s how it started.

I actually liked knowing when I was going to give birth. The idea of “THIS IS IT” we’re in labor! was making me really nervous.

At 5PM on Monday, December 3rd I checked into Northern Westchester Hospital in Mount Kisco, NY

My brother picked up Lily so she could hang with him overnight.

All day I felt like I was about to go into the ring to win an ALL AROUND HEAVY WEIGHT BOXING TITLE. I mean I was going into the ring solo and coming out with a person. The morning started with me waking up in a jolt… no contractions nothing… we were 40 weeks 6 days.

I sent an email to my peeps and asked them to please think of Me, Matt and Lily today as we were ” going in” !

My friend Sarah called me first thing in the AM and gave me the full rundown of what happens when you get induced.

She talked me through every single aspect of it and… it didn’t seem that bad.. but still… there was a lot of talk about people inserting things in your lady bits and hemorrhoids and numbing creams and things of that nature. But my girl prepped me for what was ahead.

Lenore called and gave me a pep talk. She is one of those calming types.. no matter the situation you can count on Lenore to calm you down in a rational way.

Brooke called to say… I was induced too… it’s totally cool and you are in control.

Others called to say… go get em tiger!

All day I received many calls from friends who shared their birthing stories with me and said things like.. don’t worry… it’s not that bad. If it were women wouldn’t be doing this for all these years. – This single phrase seems to be the party line for all things birthing and breastfeeding and lady bits hurting. 

I was getting prepped by my posse of strong women all day. Inspiration and support and love …just mad love was coming in from everywhere. This meant the WORLD to me!

When we pulled up to the hospital, I felt prepared… for everything… and NOTHING!

birthing story

We checked into a private room. It was large and spacious and very comfortable and had fake flowers.. that I focused on during the pushing.

The nurse came in and welcomed me and said they were expecting me and how very exciting! (she sees people like me several times a day and yet in that moment managed to make me feel like I was the most important pregnant lady ever to walk through the maternity unit.)

The nurse left for a bit and Matt and I stared  at each other with a … “you ready to rumble” look. When she came back in, she put some needles in my arm that hurt but was NORMAL… and then the doctor came in and put this tampon looking thing in my lady bits chatted about random things for a little and left. All this took about 45 seconds.

photo (24)

That was part one. I was sooo stressed … for this 45 second procedure. Now we wait. I was given Cervidil to relax my cervix. At 10:30 pm the doctor came back in and reprimanded me for working on my computer. And said I should probably take a sleeping pill because “tomorrow is going to be a long day and I need my rest”.

So at 11pm, I took an Ambien… an hour later I was still wide awake and anxious so I was given another.

I woke up in the middle of the night with SHOOTING SHARP pains all though my abdomen. he nurses expected this because they kept coming in to check on me. Sometime around 3 or 4am.. I was given morphine to calm the pain.

Just think… these were labor pains right… if I had to drive to the hospital with these intense pains.. I would have seriously done some damage to Matt… he dodged a bullet on this one.


The morphine seemed to help. I woke up at around 8am to my doctor talking to me. What he said… I have no idea. My cervix had not dilated. The epidural was given sometime during the day and so was the pitocin…they checked again around noon and still nothing… and then when they checked me around 3pm. BAM. dilated and ready to go.

And we were ready.. just like that. My brother, Matt’s sis and Lily were asked to leave the room… It was GO time!

I was freaking out inside. This is what 9 months have been all about. Here I was 41 weeks and this was about to happen. How amazing! How awesome! How surreal! and How very SCARY!

The “pushing part of labor” I was in and out of sleep… the ambien and morphine and epidural were all working together to keep me nice and dazed.

My legs felt like.. well nothing, I couldn’t feel my legs, and in between pushes… I would just fall asleep. I do remember that there were about 6 – 7 people in the room all staring down at my bits and that whole… covered above the waist thing… is for the movies. You are just sort of sprawled out on the birthing bed. Just FYI.

I did ask for a blanket for my chest because I was shaking so much from the drugs and being cold.

Matt stayed with me and massage my forehead and face. There was no screaming or yelling, the doctor, nurses and I  talked about crazy reality shows in between pushes and cat naps… lots of joking around…very bizarre. I have strange memories of weird conversations we were having. My security blanket when nervous is to be funny. So who knows what crazy non-funny things I was saying!

At one point my doctor brought out a vacuum gadget and said he might have to use the vacuum to get the baby out. I really did not want this and remember saying a quick prayer that in the next few pushes the baby comes out. PLEASE.

2 hours after the pushing started at 5:33pm, I heard Matt say… look look open your eyes and I actually watched our baby being born into this world. So amazing and beautiful and I have no words. No words at all.

birthing story

Mathias Thomas was born with a cord around his neck and had to be taken to the warmer to get fluid out of his nose and throat. I did get skin on skin contact with him right after for a very short time but he was taken to the NICU for about 30 minutes.

My doctor was still working on me… and I caught him at the very moment he pulled out the placenta… ok this stuff is HUGE and nasty and how was there room for this AND the babe in the belly?

My family came to the room as soon as they were allowed and stayed through the rest of the evening with me. Lily was now a big sister. My family- sister, brother, two sister in laws – were around me and it was an amazing feeling.

The birthing process was amazing, not scary at all and most of what I was expecting never happened. It was the calmest and nothing like the movies.

The days following were rough… we checked out of the hospital on Thursday. I am STILL in such pain and have to take my meds every 4-6 hours just to keep from going batty over the pain. I do have stitches in my lady bits and things burn and hurt all over my pelvic area. All normal.

The nurses at NWH are the absolute best ever. The whole process was so smooth and honestly perfect. I feel so blessed and fortunate to have experienced quite possibly the most intense experience of my life in such a nurturing environment.

My friends and family came to visit me in the hospital and it was such an outpouring of love that my little heart was full and is still overflowing from their care and love.

Mathias Thomas is beautiful. Lily is absolutely beautiful with him.

And I am blessed to have an amazing family to grow old with.