The perfect family adventure – apple picking!
I love going apple picking. This is the perfect season for it!! It’s a great way to engage with nature, enjoy some classic Northeast activities and is a perfect example of “farm to table” agriculture.
We usually go to Outhouse Orchards in North Salem, NY. This place is beyond charming, pony rides, hay rides, apple picking, cider, pies, jams, jellies, pumpkins, playground and a petting zoo.
Things to remember when Apple Picking:
- Wear sunscreen, even though you are amidst trees, the sun is still hot and beating down.
- Wear sneakers or hiking shoes. There is a lot of walking through grassy terrain and let’s not forget the common…deer poop.
- Long pants are great to avoid the occasional hitch-hiking tick!
- Wear a hat to protect your cute little face.
- Bring cash, some farms have Credit Card minimums and even though you might spend more than the CC min. The spending happens in doses. A hayride here, a pony ride there, a cider here and a bag of apples there… be prepared. Just bring cash.
- Hydrate, drink lots of water.
- Watch out for yellow jackets and bees. Just be warned.
Here’s a list of places I recommend to go Apple Picking in Westchester and Duchess County in the NYC area. So get yourself in your car or train pack up your loved ones and go North and pick them apples!
Outhouse Orchards – North Salem, NY